The Appalachian State University Foundation exists solely to help create the best possible learning environment for Appalachian State University students. The Foundation provided more than $78 million in support of university activities in the past ten years. It operates as a nonprofit Internal Revenue Code Sec. 501(c)(3) organization.
A strong Foundation makes a difference
Contributions to the Appalachian State University Foundation support...
Developing the entrepreneurial spirit
- No matter what discipline, students need to combine their critical and analytical thinking with creativity to address the professional challenges of the 21st century. Funding to engage students with working entrepreneurs, promote education through research and service-learning collaborations, provide expanded access to career opportunities, support scholarships, and create endowed professorships is key to nurturing students with a creative edge to make an impactful difference through their work.
Enhancing health and quality of life
- Appalachian has always looked toward identifying and meeting the needs of those around us, and a strengthened focus on the health sciences rises to the challenge of making life better for those in need of quality health care. To meet this challenge, help is needed to establish a nationally known health college, support premier research in selected fields, educate nurses, build a home for the college, provide scholarships and graduate assistantships, and create endowed professorships.
Supporting exceptional students
- To sustain an environment of inclusive excellence, the university must provide need-based and merit-based scholarships, and funding for undergraduate and graduate research as well as co-curricular learning opportunities. Initiatives such as the Honors College living/learning center, ACCESS scholarships and athletic scholarships help attract the best and brightest students to our university and change lives forever.
Graduating globally conscious citizens
- It is critical that our students are conscious of the larger world around them and support for programs like study and travel abroad, exchange programs, scholarships and international programs can make transformational experiences available to them.
- Instilling the knowledge and importance of sustainability helps nurture students who care for the environment in which they live. Important areas to fund are research in smaller scale technology and renewable resources, endowed professorships, the establishment of a curriculum around the economics of sustainability, a "green curriculum" for the campus at-large, sustainability initiatives and the implementation of "green" programs on campus.